What is Ecocert Bio?
Ecocert Bio (Fra: Ecocert Cosmétique biologique) is a French quality mark for organic cosmetics, founded in 2003. The label guarantees that production is done in an environmentally friendly manner and that some of the ingredients come from organic farming.
Specific features of the quality mark
- The quality mark is anchored in European legislation.
- The quality mark is managed and independently audited by the French control and certification body Ecocert. That body was created to support French organic farming. It gradually spread across national borders, beyond Europe, to Africa, Asia and America.
- The Ecocert quality mark is part of Cosmos, an international standard for organic cosmetics that advocates harmonization of all labels for ecological cosmetics.
For more information, please visit: http://www.ecocert.com/en/
What does the quality mark stand for?
- Environmental awareness . The quality mark stands for an environmentally conscious production process. Part of the raw materials for the products must come from organic farming (at least 10%). An example of a substance that must always come from organic farming is palm oil. In addition, 95% of the cosmetic products must come from herbal products. So only a limited amount of artificial substances may be added. In addition, the Ecocert Bio quality mark applies strict conditions in the field of biodegradability and water pollution. The quantities of packaging material are also limited by this quality mark. Finally, Ecocert requires producers to draw up a sustainability plan with a focus on water and energy consumption and waste management.
- Animal friendliness. The cosmetic products with this quality mark may not be tested on animals. In addition, the ingredients and raw materials for the products may not be of animal origin. Both conditions are in the interest of animal welfare.
Which products meet this quality mark?